Being gay in Pakistan

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. guenter says:

manto, heartiest congrats 2 ur knowledge &ur work, 2 enlighten the liars &hypocrites in ur country, who consider themselves as heteros, while having gay sex anytime.u need others to support u; check a group named "struggle" who works in the leftwing of PPP. as the law is against u, lay down ur name at amnesty international or -if they ever arrest u-, ask 4 political asylum in germany. wud like 2 write so much more, but place here is small. only: u are not alone, we are here with you! hugs &kisses from guenter, a german, living in germany and india. my mail-adr.: guentermeisinger@yahoo.de

2. Oli says:

A very nice article Nuwas, but something I wanted to mention regarding re-interpretation of the Quran.

Quran, like any other book, you can open read and interpret to the best of your knowledge and experience. There is no such thing as a right interpretation or a wrong one. Everyone has his own capacity to understand and take away the message. Just like a piece of art, a novel or a poem.

Ulema describe or interpret it to the best of their understanding, I can do it to my knowledge, you can also do it to the best of your knowledge. Does not mean one is right or the other is wrong. Same with the story of Lot, some people put a negative charge on it, some do not. And it's ok both ways. As one can never claim that their thinking or views are the correct ones.

The problem arise only when one tries to force their views on others. Whether, you, me, my neighbor or a mullah sitting in a corner mosque.

3. MarkSpizer says:

great post as usual!

4. Jeddy says:

Homosexuality is a crime in Pakistan, only when there is a public display of it. But it thrives in the privacy of homes. In a boarding school, where I studied, there were frequent expulsions of boys who were found having sex with each other. There was a boy who had broken all known all records. In the house he was, he started a massive all male orgy for a long spell. Naturally he was expelled, but he returned triumphantly because of his political connections. If you are politically well connected you can flaunt your sex.

5. Hassan says:

Peace be Upon You Brother

This is indeed a very insightful article that goes at length to describe the attitude Pakistani society has towards homosexuality at large.

I’m 18,male and gay from Lahore and I am a practicing Muslim who believes his homosexuality is a test and who shall be rewarded for his patience.

“What is really funny is that these same people forget their Allah’s divine anti-gay verses when they are offered a blowjob!”

eeyukh…such hypocritical behavior is disgusting!(though there are some who openly admit they are disobeying God and doing sin but continue doing it—they are not hypocritical per se)

I have a few issues with all this reinterpretation to justify homosexuality thingie…

Leaving Lot’s nation (on him be peace) aside,homosexuality can easily be dealt with here:

“And those who guard their chastity Except from their wives or that the right hand possess (female captives), for then, they are free from blame; But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors.”(Al Mummin-Quran)

That includes sex with men pretty much.

As for these twisted reinterpretations by people who want to find religious sanctions for their cravings:

“It is He who has sent down to you the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise – they are the foundation of the Book – and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to their desires]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah . But those firm in knowledge say, “We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord.” And no one will be reminded except those of understanding.”

(Quran 3:7)

However,The Lord promises us to be patient and he will provide us with ways out of our distress were we to face any following his orders:

“And whosoever fears Allah (abides by Allah’s limits) and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him.”

(At-Talaq Quran)

May The Lord provide us all with guidance.

Peace

6. Ali says:

Please contact me on my mobile no 03434809365: 05 0) 41+2

7. Hassan says:

Here I am back after more than three months to say I am Atheist now…
    I didn’t leave because of my sexuality but because of illogicalities I found in religion.

But what I said above still stands.

I do not see how one can be a good,practising Muslim and indulge in homosexual acts at the same time.

I advise homosexuals to either leave Islam (because otherwise they will live confused and uncertain lives,burdened with guilt if they ever choose to answer the call of sexuality)or be celibate.
    I promote the former because Islam just isn’t worth living a lonely and sexually frustrated life.

8. HAQ says:

dear friends and brothers i read whole article it is full of illusion and misconception. I am sorry to say I could not succeed to find a solid reason in its favor. friend has quoted about the angels who came to prophet for punishment of nation. but he forget the practice of nation that was the main reason for this punishment. furthermore, existence of a sin in society does not mean that it is allowable and should be allowed. if this is the reason then i think crime, corruption, killing, robbery, theft etc all things should be allowed officially because all these practices are in happening in the society. but i am sure you will not allow all these practices officially. similarly, if this practice is happening in Pakistan it is wrong and strict punishment should be charged for this to discourage these practices. if you have solid reason then reply to this comment. may ALLAH give us taufeeq to follow the Haq. and leave our own interpretations to modify the pure religion. because in every field (politics, science, engineering, medicine) the opinion of their expert is acceptable not the individual who has no idea of that field, similarly in Islam the opinion of PIOUS FUQAHA/ULLEMA is acceptable not brother nuwaz monto who don’t know the abc of Islam.

9. Brautschuhe says:

You could certainly see your skills in the work you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart.